Start Your Career Today
TITLE: Part-Time College Readiness and Access Instructor
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs
OBJECTIVE: The College Readiness and Access Instructor will work with participating high school students offering workshops and programs designed to: 1) support the development of cognitive skills needed to thrive in college; 2) support the development of key content knowledge; 3) support the development of self-management skills; and 4) increase knowledge about post-secondary education. Above all, this person must have the ability to inspire, spark curiosity, creativity, and confidence in participating students.
· Public speaking, management, organizational and leadership skills.
· Knowledge of mentoring programs and community organizations in NYC.
· Experience working with youth/young adults.
· Flexible time and willingness to travel within the 5 boroughs of NYC.
The responsibilities of the College Readiness and Access Instructor includes but are not limited to:
· Support and monitor development of college readiness skills for students that will enable their success in post-secondary education
· Teach high-quality, engaging college readiness courses to all participating juniors and seniors.
· Establish and uphold classroom expectations that support students to develop ownership over their learning and college preparation process.
· Plan and lead college awareness activities including selected college trips.
· Analyze data on student progress and use it to inform instruction and support to students.
· Maintain close relationships with students and families, including phone calls and conferences.
· Perform clerical assignments and other duties necessary.
· Some nights and weekends. (In the event of a college trip or After work hour functions)
· Meet Regularly with Director of Programs, Guidance Department and Principal
· Attends meetings and assists in evaluating college readiness course objectives; recommends curricula changes as it pertains to the college readiness curricula.
· Tracks, assesses and reports data used to assess student achievement and retention; implements continuous improvement programs and processes, as appropriate.
• Bachelor's degree; Master degree in Master's Degree in Education or related
field strongly preferred.
• Must be a dynamic self-starter with enthusiasm for working with urban youth.
• At least five years of experience in education and/or youth development.
• Experience supervising staff.
• Background clearance from the New York City Department of Education.
• Familiarity with budgeting and grant reporting.
• Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
• Strong youth facilitation skills.
• Excellent communication and organizational skills, with strong attention to detail.
• Ability to manage complex tasks and situations, as well as creatively problem solve.
• Demonstrated capacity to collaborate with other community agencies and
• Ability to successfully manage multiple projects and responsibilities with consistent follow-through.
• Independent and self-motivated with strong interpersonal skills
• Available for routine and occasional evening and/or weekend hours.
• Ability to use technology to maintain meticulous documentation.
• Must have fluency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com Please include "College Readiness Instructor" in the subject line. Applications without a cover letter will NOT be reviewed. EOE/AA Employer. No phone calls please.